Cornwall Council proposes car parking tariffs for Porthleven and Helston
I know from experience when it comes to car parking tariffs and how much you should charge tends to be an emotive subject. Tariffs are blamed for many things including killing town centres. So when setting a tariff you have to take into consideration a lot of factors. One of the factors in setting a tariff is Cornwall Council needs to have an income from them. Why does it need the revenue? The answer is quite simple, it needs the money to pay for services you and I receive. As without the car parking income, the money would have to be found from elsewhere. If this money could not be found, then services would change or stop.
For the last 18 months, there has been no real change to the car parking tariffs. It was felt that a period of time was needed to have some stability in tariff setting without the need to change every year. However, for 2015/16 there is proposed a series of changes to the tariffs in Cornwall Council car parks. On this topic, I will only be speaking about the car parks in Porthleven and Helston. As they are the only tariff details I have on and these two towns is the area my Electoral Division covers.
The changes to the tariffs in Porthleven are small. There will be the reintroduction of an up-to one hour change, and this will be set at 60p. The Summer tariffs 15th March till the 31st October will be:
- 1 to 2 hours £1.40
- 2 to 3 hours £3.30
- 3 to 4 hours £4.40
- 24 hours £5
- Weekly £35
The charging period will be from 9am till 4pm seven days a week. The winter tariffs (from 1st November till 14th March) will be £1 all day. Outside the charging period the car park is free to use.
For Helston’s car parks the tariffs are slightly more complex due to the different usage and lease agreements, but these are as follows:
- Castle Green – Monday to Saturday £2.20 all day; Sunday free to park. Season tickets – £56/3 months; £105/6 months; £200/annual and unreserved permit (I believe resident) £38 for the year
- Cattle Market – Monday to Saturday; up to one hour 60p; 1 to 2 hours £1.40; 2 to 3 hours £3.30; 3 to 4 hours £4.40, 24 hours £5. Weekly £30. Free to park on Sundays. Charging period 9am till 4pm. Season tickets £104/3 months; £197/6 months and £375 for annual.
- Penrose Road – Reserved permit £203 annual
- Trengrouse Way and Trengrouse Way Extension – Monday to Saturday; up to one hour 60p; 1 to 2 hours £1.40 and 2 to 3 hours £3.30. Charging period 9 am till 4 pm. Free to park on Sundays. Note this is a short stay car park.
- Tyacke Road – Monday to Saturday; up to one hour 60p; 1 to 2 hours £1.40; 2 to 3 hours £3.30; 3 to 4 hours £4.40, 24 hours £5.50; weekly £33; Free to park on Sundays. Charging period 9am till 4pm. Season tickets £104/3 months; £197/6 months and £375 for annual.
- Fairground – Free
These new car park tariffs are currently out for public consultation which runs until the 30th January. If you have a view on these new tariffs, then you can give your view in writing or email to: Cornwall Council to Parking Consultation, Cornwall Council Parking Services, Po Box 664, Truro, TR1 9DH or email at email@example.com