Each Cornwall Councillor has £2195 to spend each year on community projects/groups. It is not a huge amount of money, but it can, and does make a difference to those who receive it. Unlike many other forms of grant application this process is rather simple, and a group/organisation only has to fill in an easy to fill in form.
The way I tend to administer this fund is to give smaller grants instead of a few large ones. I feel this is the best way to help more people with the limited money available. One of the only stipulations I have in applying is a group or organisation has to have a connection to the area I represent. I know there are many great national and county-wide projects that need funding, but I believe the money should be spent locally to the benefit of the community.
So far, grants have been awarded to the following groups/organisations.
- Citizenship for Life program – photo-frames for the young people’s certificates: Cost £119.88
- Porthleven Residents Association – Start-up costs: £200
- Friends and Residents of Bulwark Group (resident Association) – Running costs: £250
- Helston’s Gorsedh Kernow 2011 – Toilet Hire: Costs £180
- Helston Skate Day – Event costs: £200
- International Schools Theatre Assoc ISTA Porthleven Festival – Sponsorship for two Porthleven primary children to attend: Costs £150
- National Coastwatch Institution – New sign for tide times and weather information: Costs £200
- Porthleven Food and Music Festival – Event costs, equipment hire: Costs £300
- Porthleven Judo Kwai – New suits for children: Costs £250.76
- Porthleven WI – Jam and Jerusalem – Jam making machine, jam jars and lids etc: Costs £250
- Porthleven/Guisseny Twinning Association – Running costs: £250
- Helston Youth Cafe – Event/running costs: £150
As you can see, a lot of organisations/groups have had small but important grants. I still have a little money left, so if you would like to apply drop me an email/phone call and I will send you the forms. If there is not enough to go around this financial year, I will get another £2195 from the 1st April 2012.